In June, formal negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement between the American Postal Workers Union and the United States Postal Service will begin. The APWU started preparations last year. We are currently gathering large amounts of data and information, as well as consulting with economists, labor experts and our attorneys.
As an important part of our preparations, APWU National sent a wide-ranging survey to members to gather information on what your priorities are. The surveys were included with 2021 membership cards, as well as reprinted in the January- February 2021 issue of The American Postal Worker. The survey was also emailed and texted out to members. Thousands of surveys were returned or filled out digitally, providing the National Negotiations Committee with invaluable information.
“Thank you to all of the members who filled out and returned their surveys. As the negotiations team continues our preparations, we now have a strong picture of what members value the most as we move closer to opening day,” said President Dimondstein. “Members are encouraged to join Collective Action Teams and stay active and involved throughout the contract campaign.”
· October 2020 – Preparations Began
· May 23, 2021 – 120 Days from Contact Expiration, window to request negotiations opens
· June 22, 2021 – 90 Days from Contract Expiration, tentative formal start date of negotiations
· September 7, 2021 – Final two weeks of negotiations begin
· September 20, 2021, 11:59 pm – Contract Expires